Sunday, April 04, 2010

Dem Dry Bones

Yesterday being Shabbat Hol Ha-moed Pesah, we read the famous prophecy from Ezekiel about the dry bones. That haftara always has a powerful emotional pull on me, with its climactic ending, "I am Hashem; I have spoken and I have performed," more than hinting at the events that we will commemmorate in the upcoming month of Iyar. I used it as the theme for a shirt in which I ran the New York City Half Marathon.
The prophecy is also the inspiration for a well-known Negro spiritual.





Allow me to tweak the song a little (I believe it's in the public domain):
Dem bones dem bones gonna walk around
Dem bones dem bones gonna run around
Dem bones dem bones gonna fly around. . . .
"Disconnect dem bones dem dry bones. . . .?" Never! They - we - shall go from strength to strength until the final ge'ula, quickly and in our time.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home