Friday, April 11, 2008

Quick - gotta ban it!

This from a bodybuilding site about a bodybuilder with a decidedly Jewish name - Joshua Katz:

I lifted my first weight when I was 13 years old. My cousins who were practicing physical therapists at the time gave me the book "GETTING STRONGER" by Bill Pearl. This turned out to be the most pivotal and life changing gift I have ever received. I proceeded by lifting weights and following the diagrams in that book religiously (for lack of a better word). While other kids my age were playing soccer and baseball and any manner of other sports, I was in my basement lifting weights and training like a bodybuilder.The rush I got from that type of training hooked me and has never let me go. I got so muscular from lifting in my basement for 2 full years that I outgrew the equipment that I had. I asked my parents if I could join a gym and they took me to the local Powerhouse Gym in Freehold, New Jersey; they signed the papers for me and the rest is history. I entered my first bodybuilding contest at the age of 19, the 1995 Gold's Gym Classic held in Lakewood, NJ [emphasis mine] . I took the overall teenage title and took second in the novice lightweight class. A year later I competed in the same contest as an Open Men's Lightweight and took second place.

Huh? How can the Kotlers and Salomons blithely ignore such a toeiva in their own backyard? Such a breach in the wall of our holy Torah? Boys will be led into the path of sin. Girls may actally turn their heads and look at the athletes walking down the street. They might even fantasize about going to a concert with them. Oy vey! There's no time to waste. Get out the kol korei pen and write the usual imrecatory screed. Can't let the mitzva become hametz.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might be interested in this article:

"The association between physical activity in leisure time and leukocyte telomere length" in Archives of Internal Medicine 168:154.

Telomeres prevent DNA from age-related degradation. The more you exercises, the longer, and presumably more effective your telomeres are.

Cheers!

Sun Apr 13, 09:12:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.munich11.com

Thu May 29, 05:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger alaa said...

Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me

Tue May 16, 12:00:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home